Monday, September 1, 2014

book review: The Giver



Amazon's description:
In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

So, the movie, The Giver, is coming out (or maybe it's already out).  I always try to read the book before I see the movie so I knew I had to move fast.  I'd heard a lot about this book and it had been on my "to read" list for a  while.  I have to admit though, it wasn't what I expected.  I liked it though.  There is a young boy named Jonas who has lived in a very sheltered world.  At the age of 12, he receives his "job" and his chosen to be the Receiver of Memories.  He works closely with a man he calls the Giver who gives him all of the memories and he learns the truth about life, love, and pain.  He learns there is good and bad in the world as well as color and beauty.  He makes a decision that will impact his life as well as the lives of his community. 

I was a little disappointed when I discovered that there is no sequel.  I don't like writing my own endings, but I understand why the author left the story this way.  It is assumed he found love from another community, but I can't help but wonder how his family survived and what happened to the Giver.  Overall, it was an interesting read.  I'd definitely recommend it and I can see why it is a book that many schools assign to their students. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you,
Karen