Thursday, December 25, 2014

Random Acts of Christmas Kindness

For me, Christmas is about giving.  It's about celebrating the birth of Jesus.  While we "do" Santa, I have to say...I'm not a huge fan.  I like the excitement--don't get me wrong-- but there are many things I don't like.  First, I think it can (not always) take away from the true meaning of Christmas. It's easy to get caught up with the whole Santa thing.  Second, it's hard to explain to kids why/how some kids who maybe are more fortunate, get a ton of toys, while other kids (who may have also been just as good) get only a couple- if that.  It just seems wrong sometimes. 
This year, I've tried to focus less on Santa (despite seeing him 3 times) and more on giving back.  I'm far from perfect, but I think my kids got the message this year and I'm really happy with the result!

We (Mia and I) spent all afternoon baking cookies.  I have to say...it was not enjoyable.  I am not a baker. 
 
 
The kids had a fantastic time delivering cookies to all of our neighbors.  We knocked on every door and told them Merry Christmas.  All of our neighbors were so sweet. 
 
 
We also made cookies for our local firemen.  The kids learned about "community helpers" in school and they really wanted to show their appreciation. 

Walking into the Fire Department.  Unfortunately, we couldn't find anyone, but we left them in the main area and called to let them know.  We also left a card saying Merry Christmas and Thank you. We heard later that the cookies disappeared in less than 2 hours :).

This year, we also let the kids pick out a toy for toy for tots.  This was the kid's idea.  They were so excited.  Mia bought an Elsa doll and Paxton picked out a Planes Lego set. 

We delivered them to a local firehouse Toys for Tots drop off. 
 
We love our neighbor behind us.  He is a fan of Yuengling so we made him some Reinbeer and delivered them with some cookies--especially decorated by Mia and Paxton. 

Lastly, we made a Thank You poster for our trash pick up guys.  Their job is pretty stinky so we wanted to just say Thanks :).
 
This Christmas has not been easy for me, but having something positive to do and share with my kids has made it one of the best years ever.  To quote my Dad, "make someone smile everyday" and that is what I am trying to do.
 
Merry Christmas from our family to yours.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you,
Karen