Yesterday, I was humbled by the selflessness of one family and realized how truly selfish I am. In most situations, I think..."how does this affect me and my family?" or "what about me?" I think of others, but I always feel sorry for myself. When Paxton was sick, I felt sorry for me. When I lost Parker, I felt sorry for me. Not to say that I shouldn't, but there are so many other people in worse situations! WHat about them?
In case you didn't know, I volunteer as a wish granter for the Make a Wish foundation. Yesterday, I met a family who was truly self-less. I'll call them "The Smiths". They adopted a little girl almost 10 years ago. They adopted her, knowing that she was sick with a rare brain disorder. They were told she wouldn't live to see her first birthday, but now she is almost 10! It's amazing. But....that said, she is a lot of work. She can't walk, she's blind, she can't communicate, and so on. Her family has given up everything. They almost never spend time together as they have to work different shifts in order to properly care for her. They are truly a selfless family and I am amazed by their strength and love. I have a lot to learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Would love to hear from you,
Karen