Thursday, March 28, 2013

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars


Amazon's Description reads:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

This book is so incredibly sweet, but so sad.  I cried...a lot...ugly cries.  Warning... Don't read this book at work (during lunch) or anywhere in public. You will cry. 

Their love story was truly heartwarming.  As a reader, you wanted so much for things to work out...for a cure to be found or for a miracle.  The main characters were both very likeable.  I also liked how you could see from the parent's perspective also...how losing a child can effect them as well.  Though Van Houten was so rude...you could tell that losing his daughter has deeply impacted his life.  He was unable to finish her story or live his life without drinking to get through the day. 

 I can relate to how Hazel felt as an only child...knowing that if/when she passed away, her parents would be left alone.  I have often felt that as an only child (though not nearly to the extent Hazel did as I am not sick).  I'm sure other children have felt the same way.

The thing I liked most about this book, other than the sweet love story, was that Hazel's mom was using her grief and her story to help others.  I love that she was going back to school to be a social worker.  I love that Hazel supported and loved that as well.  I love when people take something negative in their lives and use it to help and inspire others. 

So...on to the Book Club Questions:

+ Do you see Hazel as a likeable narrator?  How about a realistic one?
Yes, I see her as both likeable and realistic. 
+ Why did Green choose to add Peter Van Houten and the trip to Amsterdam to the story?  How did that affect or change the book?
For me, it gave me another perspective--a parent's perspective and shows how they suffer when their child has a life threatening illness.  It shows how their lives can change in an instant.
+ Was the book too sad or tragic for you or did it somehow leave you feeling uplifted?  How?
It was sad...but it was realistic. I felt that the way Hazel's parents handled her illness was somewhat uplifting in that they were trying to help others. 
+ There are some graphic scenes including Gus peeing his own bed and vomitting all over himself.  Why do you think Green chose to add these.  Are they appropriate?
I think he wanted to make this story real.  These are real side effects and wanted to show that there is so much more to having Cancer than people realize.  While you may not want to read about them, they happen and I think he wanted to show that.
+  What makes Gus and Hazel's love story unique?  Do you see them as real characters- why or why not?
I could see them as real characters.  While I cannot really relate to them, I think they shared similar character traits, which brought them together.  Their love story was also unique in that they could relate to one anothers situation and understand it in a way that others could not.
+ Would you suggest this book to someone who has cancer or is close to someone with cancer?  Why or why not?
No.  While I believe it paints a realistic image of someone in the final stages of cancer, I would not want someone I care about (who is also suffering from the disease) to read about the suffering and pain that goes along with it. 
+ The book is classified as "young adult" fiction.  Do you think this is an accurate genre for the book, or do you consider it too deep for that age group?  On the back cover of the book it says that Green writes "for youth rather than to them".  What do you think that means?
I believe "young adult" fiction is the right genre for the book.  I think when Green says he writes for them rather than to them, he means he is trying to make the book relatable.  It isn't all candy and lollypops.  Life as a teen can be hard and he wants to point that out.  Issac's love story is a perfect example.
+ What did you think of the end of the book?  Did it give you enough closure?
While I'd love to know how long Hazel lived, I think we can all assume what happened eventually.  I was ok with the ending. 
+ What did you think of Green's description of Hazel's grieving process immediately following Gus' death? 
Her Eulogy to him (8 days prior) made me cry.  It was so heartfelt.  Her pain was real...and raw. 
 What touched you the most about those scenes?
I think just reading about her desperation to find out what he wrote for her...to have something tangible to hold on to. 
+  What is the significance of the title of the novel?
Sometimes in life...the stars just don't align for a lifetime together.  While their love was real....there was a fault in their stars that only provided them with a short time together.






3 comments:

  1. great review! loved the book :)

    http://ilikebigbooksblog.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/book-review-the-fault-in-our-stars-by-john-green/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the review! Thanks for posting! I loved that you answered all the questions... you would be a diligent student! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. coming from Olive & Ivy. I've seen photos of this all over instagram but had no idea what it was about. Great Review :)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen