Thursday, March 21, 2013

Night Terrors

I've wrote before about how my 4 year old suffers from night terrors.  I wanted to just post again in case anyone has any suggestions on how to help.  This was my Tuesday night:

8pm bedtime.  Mia fell to sleep immediately (she had had a fever all week)
9:44pm, she woke up screaming.  We consoled her.  About an hour later, she fell back into a restless sleep.
12 something pm-- up again, screaming for milk.  Up for about 45 minutes
1:14am, up again...crying...

You get the picture...this continued all night.  It was horrible.  Her eyes were open, but she was asleep.  She was answering up, but incoherent.  Her answers often made no sense. 
She ended up waking her brother up.  Everyone was crying. It was a mess.  This happens about 1x a month (maybe less).  Has anyone else experienced this?  Do you have any suggestions?

Desperate for sleep and help for my baby,

3 comments:

  1. Wish I had some suggestions for you, just wanted to let you know that I hope you are able to get this figured out for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin had night terrors when he was around that age. We were always told to never wake him up, that would just make it worse. So we always tried to just console him and get him back to bed. I'm not sure what they did for long-term help though. Have you considered a sleep therapist? I have heard they work wonders for this sort of problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor thing (and poor mommy)!
    My son had these a few years ago, but they only lasted a few months and were random. I asked our pediatrician, and he suggested that I just enter the room, tell him I'm there, and touch his back. He said turning on lights or talking to them would make it worse. It definitely did help.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen