Friday, June 14, 2013

Mom Intuition

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post except to say, I'm not sure how to handle "playdates" when my Mother's Intuition kicks in.  Here's the situation:

Mia has a friend.  We'll call her Sally.  Sally is a sweet little girl, but she is much more mature than my daughter (though they are the same age).  She is an only child and spends a good amount of time around adults.  She is exposed to things that Mia is not yet exposed to (certain tv shows, words we don't use, etc.).  Let me say again...she is a sweet girl.
Sally's mom has befriended me.  I don't know her well, but she is very nice.  She continually asks for playdates, but I am very uncomfortable with sending Mia over to their house.  I don't know if its because they have a couple ginormous dogs that jump on you and nearly knocked me down their stairs...or if I feel like my daughter will not be closely watched....or if it's something else that is bothering me.  Mia has had other playdates with kids that I've felt fine about (note--I have known the other parents much longer). 

I've offered for Sally to come to our house a few times, but it's exhausting to always host the playdates.  I'm even going as far as to meet her out with my kids just to avoid a playdate at her house.  What would you do?



3 comments:

  1. I have never had this problem with playdates but I have with baby sitters. I've had people offer to watch my daughter and I know that there is no way ever that I would leave my kid with that person but I usually just smile and thank them for the offer. Playdates are harder but if you feel that it's just not right, then you are doing the right thing by saying no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could suggest a playdate at her house that includes you too? So you could get a feel of what it's like at her house. Maybe you could offer to bring some treats over so you could chat with the Mom while the kids played?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing exactly what I'd do already! It's best to keep your playtime on neutral territory if something about the home makes you uneasy. Trust your gut! We have a similar scenario but with a family member. I hate that it has to be that way, but you have to do what's right for your kid!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen