Monday, August 6, 2012

Book review- Beautiful Disaster

Today, I'm linking up with From Nanny to Family for a book review.  In July, we read Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire.



The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.
Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


My thoughts:
I read this book in about 2 days. I really liked the characters. Abby Abernathy was a sweet innocent college girl. She kind of reminded me of myself back then (ok not exactly, but I could definitely relate). Travis was the bad boy--the one every girl is attacted to. While I didn't like all of the fighting, I did really enjoy the storyline.
I will say, mid way through the book, after their trip to Vegas, I really thought it was going to go in a different direction. I thought that there would be more interaction with Benny and his crew. I'm not sure if I was relieved or happy. Either way, I raced through the book so I definitely enjoyed it. 

How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to “get into it”?
I liked the book immediately

How did you feel reading it – amused, sad, disturbed, confused, bored, etc…?
For the most part, I was amused.  There were times, with all of te fighting that I got annoyed.

Is the ending satisfying? If so, why? IF not, why not – how would you change it?
I was happy with the ending.  I don't think I would change it.

Would Travis be someone you would be interested in dating given he was a "bad boy" with a side of anger issues?
No, not at all.  I do not like fighting and would not have been interested in someone like Travis

Like or hate "Pidge" nickname?
I liked it.  I thought it was cute.



 


4 comments:

  1. Glad you linked up! Did you see we are to a new book already??? Hope you read with us!!!

    Sharee'
    www.momFITtingitallin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw...Gone Girl! Perfect since I just bought it to read last week. Can't wait!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So glad you linked up! I agree this book was a super fast read and sometimes the fighting made me think "really!? again?!". Good book though and I'm glad I read it. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Gone Girl!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen