Thursday, May 23, 2013

Dear Sleep...why do my kids hate you so much?

Do your 2-5 year olds still nap?  Do they go to bed (and stay there) around 8pm?  Because mine don't.  I need some tips on how to keep my kids in bed at night.  Right now, they leave their room and run to one anothers rooms...or to our room...or wherever.  Here's the problem.  I can't gate them in their room because they don't wear pull-ups and sometimes need to use the potty.  Further, they would scream and wake the other one up--if he/she did finally fall asleep.  So...any tips out there from other experienced mamas?  Right now, we each take a kid and lay with them in bed until they fall asleep.  Right now, that is usually around 10pm, which does NOT work for me since I get up at 5am.  Ideas???





3 comments:

  1. I haven't reached this stage yet. My two year old is still happily sleeping in her crib. But I read this fantastic book when she was younger, and I think it could really help you! Here is the link for Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NY11NI/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if this helps but here are some ideas that have worked...
    1. Mini potty in the room while potty training (We just got the $4 one from Ikea and he would go in there if he had an emergency)!
    2. For awhile my oldest would have multiple requests---I did three clothespins and once they were gone that's it, no more coming back.

    Now my two boys (4 and 2) are in the same room. We started by being with them in the room, then switched to sitting in hallway, and now we just say good-night in leave. I usually have to come back once for something and then after that I get harsh (threats do work:)--lose a stuffed animal works for now:) We also do a sticker chart---once they get 10 stickers for going to bed well/sleeping thru/staying in bed until morning we do something special...go to donut store/coffee store, barnes and noble trip, etc. That's what works the best for us.

    I hope this helps---it seems like sleep is an on and off process for years, right?!?! Let me know if you have any other questions!

    Julie
    www.thechirpingmoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just explained Ari to a T. That is so him recently. What we have done is put him to bed and if her gets up once there is no penalty. But if he gets up after that he gets a check. If her gets 3 checks then he loses something.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen