Tuesday, July 2, 2013

2 easy crafts for preschoolers

I've said it before a million times, I am not crafty.  I find easy ideas on pinterest and try them (note--they usually do not turn out as well as they look on pinterest).  This summer, I'm finding that the kids are always asking for "projects".  Since we moved a few months ago, Chris has been doing a lot of work around the house, which has left me with entertaining the kids.  I'm trying to plan ahead by finding easy crafts that both my 2 (almost 3) year old and my 4 year old can do easily and enjoy.  Last weekend, we made binoculars and magic wands. 

Binoculars:
Materials needed:
2 toilet paper rolls
Ribbon
Crayons/stickers to decorate
glue
hole punch

First, I glued the toilet paper rolls together and left them overnight.  I know my kids would never be patient enough to wait for the glue to dry.
I then punched holes on the sides for the ribbon.

When I got the prep work done, I called the kids down to start making their binoculars.  First, they decorated them (crayons and stickers).
Next, they picked ribbon.  Mia choose pink polka dot and Pax got footballs (we do not have a big selection so--it was that or Christmas ribbon) :)
This entertained them for atleast 2 hours!  I was impressed.



The 2nd craft we did was to make "Magic Wands".  I was so lucky last week...I scored 8 wooden hearts on sticks at a yardsale for $1.  This week, we called them "magic wands". 
I let the kids paint them and then add stickers/gem stones.  I then tied a ribbon around the stick and Viola...a magic wand. 

2 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I've been needing some craft ideas. These are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh those binoculars are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen