On Tuesday, he got the results of his CT Scan. We were told the 3 nodules in his lungs had grown, which we expected due to the increase in his CEA numbers. He was then sent to a "lung specialist" to get his opinion on the nodules.
My Dad met with the lung specialist yesterday and in his expert opinion, he said it most definitely looked like metastasized colon cancer. Of course, we they cannot start any treatment until they determine 100% that the cells are from his colon and that the lungs are not a new primary. You see, my Dad was a fireman for 20+ years. Before that, he was an aircraft mechanic and served in Vietnam. While he was not really a smoker (he smoked for about 2 years while serving in Vietnam at age 18 or 19), they still need to be sure as treatment would be different for each cell type.
So, moving forward, he goes in for another CT scan September 25th (which is his birthday btw). After that, if the nodules are big enough, he will be sent for another biopsy to determine treatment options. Here is where I need your help:
My Dad does not want to do this anymore. He is tired of feeling like a pin cushion. He doesn't "do" doctors well. He does not want another biopsy and is seriously considering giving up already. Also, if he does go through with the biopsy, his plan is to refuse chemo. I think--in this case--he doesn't know there are new treatment options out there that may not include sitting in a room hooked up to an iv drip for 8 hours while puking. We will see.
Lastly, please pray that he will seek comfort and peace in God. I'm not sure that my Dad has ever been religious so I am really worried about him.
Thank you
Karen- I will be praying for your father today as well as peace in your heart. Let me know if you need anything!
ReplyDeleteOh, Karen! I can NOT imagine what you are going through. I am sure your dad is beyond overwhelmed. I will pray for the doctors to give you all the information you need for the best treatment options and comfort for your dad!
ReplyDeleteI will most certainly keep your Dad and family in my prayers. Right now, I am believing for comfort for your Dad and wisdom and guidance for the doctors, nurses, etc. Keep the faith and keep praying for your Dad's salvation.
ReplyDeleteI have a coworker who has stage 4 cancer and he keeps having to bounce from one chemo treatment to another. He was on one for months that seemed to be keeping the cancer at bay and then suddenly it stopped working.
ReplyDeleteAnyway. I know it has to be so hard to see your dad to go through that. But I can understand his want to not be a pin cushion. That has to be so very hard. Keeping him and your family in my thoughts.
I will definitely keep him (and you) in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDelete