
Amazon's description:
Nicole Michelin avoids airplanes, motorcycles, and most of all, Japan, where her parents once were missionaries. Something happened in Japan...something that sent Nicole and her father back to America alone...something of which Nicole knows only bits and pieces. But she is content with life in little Mount Olive, North Carolina, with her quirky relatives, tank of lively fish, and plenty of homemade pineapple chutney. Through her online column for the Pretty Fishy Web site, she meets Harrison Michaels, who, much to her dismay, lives in Japan. She attempts to avoid him, but his e-mails tug at her heart. Then Harrison reveals that he knew her as a child in Japan. In fact, he knows more about her childhood than she does...
So, we chose this book for our book club this month and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It wasn't bad. It wasn't a page turner either. I guess if I had to describe it, I'd say it was a good family book? I'm not sure. I wanted there to be more. I wanted more of a story with her and Harrison. It seemed like the climax was her boarding a flight to Japan. The whole book was will she or won't she visit Japan. I wanted more of a love story.
There are things I did like. I liked learning about her family through her correspondance with Harrison. I liked that she got to know her mother through his emails. I liked that the mystery of the fire was solved. I liked the storyline with Grable and her daughteer (can't remember her name).
Things I did not like--or wished were different:. I wanted more of a love story. I also wanted to learn more about Grable and her daughter and I wish they had more of a storyline. I wish we could have seen how her relatives at the reunion reacted to her visit to Japan and I wish we knew what happened next.
Overall, it was a good book. I didn't love it, but I liked it.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Would love to hear from you,
Karen