Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Silver Linings Play Book



May's bookclub book was The Silver Linings Play Book by Matthew Quick




Amazon's book review:
Meet Pat Peoples. Pat has a theory: his life is a movie produced by God. And his God-given mission is to become physically fit and emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure him a happy ending—the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. (It might not come as a surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.) The problem is, Pat’s now home, and everything feels off. No one will talk to him about Nikki; his beloved Philadelphia Eagles keep losing; he’s being pursued by the deeply odd Tiffany; his new therapist seems to recommend adultery as a form of therapy. Plus, he’s being haunted by Kenny G!
I really liked this book.  While I thought Pat was kind of child-like, he was likable.  I wanted to see him happy and I appreciated his optimism (even if it was unrealistic).  I liked the story line and his relationship with Tiffany. 

While the father/son relationship was sad, I liked that they showed how Pat's breakdown affected his entire family. 

Random things I liked in the book:
I liked that he ran wearing a trashbag.  I like that he was afraid to order anything at the diner because he only had $20 so he ate raisin bran.  I like that he chose the color of the recliner that he sat in (brown on black) depending on his mood.  That totally sounds like something I would do (does that make me kinda crazy??).  I liked the movie scene montage--I thought that was a clever way of writing that portion of the book since Pat saw his life as a movie. 

I am looking forward to seeing the movie as I hear it is different from the book in a few ways-- like Nikki and his Dad are at the dance competition. 




4 comments:

  1. Yes! See the movie! I actually decided to read the book because I loved the movie so much. And there are enough differences between the two that it makes reading and seeing both worth it, regardless of the order you do it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I forgot to mention that about the arm chairs in my review... I loved how he chose where to sit based on his mood. I also thought his relationship with Cliff, the therapist, was really sweet.

    Thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this book asap! I have been so tempted to rent the movie, but I know the book is always better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved the book, too. It was sweet and funny and unique! For me, the movie was a huge disappointment. Most everyone I know who saw the movie first loved the movie and didn't like the book, so I don't know if it is possible to like both! I'll be interested to hear your opinion of the movie!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen