Friday, January 18, 2013

What do you do when you feel overwhelmed?

So, this week I had a bad night and I took out my frustrations on Chris.  Do you ever have those days when you feel like you're busting your butt to get stuff done and you just can't seem to ever finish?  That was my night this past Wednesday. 
I came home to a sink full of dishes, a dishwasher full of clean dishes that had yet to be put away, laundry in the dryer, 2 screaming kids (both whinning for various reasons), dinner to cook--including shrimp to defrost and peel for stir fry), kids needed to be fed and bathed and I had to prepare their clothes and pack lunches for the next day.  I was already exhausted and late getting home thanks to DC rush hour traffic.
Point being...my night went from just overwhelming to horrible.  I knocked over a large bottle of perfume all over the bathroom floor/rug/bedroom carpet...and of course...all over me.  My kids decide that that is the exact moment they want to be glued to my side...while I'm picking up tiny shards of glass.  Meanwhile, my husband is in the kitchen playing on his phone and eating dinner (while it's hot no less).  Did I mention I had not eaten yet?  Anyway....I snapped.  I started screaming and crying.  I had reached my boiling point.
I think what annoyed me the most is that I felt like I didn't have time to really play with my kids and enjoy them and that I took it all out on Chris. 
How do you cope when you are having a bad day and how do you pull yourself out of the funk?


2 comments:

  1. This happens to me all of the time. I just feel like there is too much to do and not enough time to do it all. And I feel like I'm doing it all on my own. So I freak out! Usually on my husband. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you. I don't have kids, but I get overwhelmed when my husband is playing on the computer or something and I am trying to do laundry and the dishes and clean the rest of the house. I am not always super nice. haha I normally just try to read! Hope it has gotten better!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen