The House at Riverton is a gorgeous debut novel set in England between the wars. It is the story of an aristocratic family, a house, a mysterious death and a way of life that vanished forever, told in flashback by a woman who witnessed it all and kept a secret for decades.
We recently read The House at Riverton for my work "book club". I had read The Secret Garden by Kate Morton before so I was familiar with her writing. While I am not a huge fan of Ms. Morton's wordy writting style, I absolutely loved this story.
It was a quick and easy read that kept my interest the whole way through. It has everything I love in books....a love story, mystery, and interesting characters. The narrator is the lady's maid who knows all of the secrets of the house, but kept them for decads. She finally reveals them to her grandson through tapes while on her deathbed.
I don't want to give away any secrets incase you decide to read it, but it's definitely a book I would recommend.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Would love to hear from you,
Karen