Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Carpet or Hardwoods???

As you may or may not know, we bought a new house.  We will go to closing either this week or next (it was a short sale so banks working out the last details). With that said, we (my husband and some contractors) are doing some renovations before we move in.  The downstairs is all hardwoods; however there is carpet on the stairs and carpet in the bedrooms upstairs.  Our question now is....do we replace the carpet OR....go with hardwoods on the stairs and in the bedrooms.  I need some opinions please...

I honestly love the softness of carpets.  They keep my feet warmer (and I hate to be cold) and it makes the room less loud and it will only take a day or so to get it done. 

Hardwoods are better for allergies, which our kids may have--especially Paxton always seems to have a cold.  Hardwoods are easier to clean and I can always buy a throw rug.  Hardwoods also will take longer to do. 

What are your thoughts?  What do you have in your house?




5 comments:

  1. I'm in love with hardwoods. I have carpet in only one room in my house - the family room. And it makes for a cozy environment in that room. But, I have area/throw rugs in the hardwood rooms. I love the look of hardwoods!

    http://beyondthegradebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the feel of carpet, but that saying we have almost all hardwoods in our house and I'm really content! I love the look, easy to clean, no major carpet stains with little kids running around, etc. Sometimes I wish we had carpet in the bedrooms to mute some of the noise, but it is what it is! Good luck!

    Julie
    http://www.thechirpingmoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ripped out all of the carpet in our house and put in hardwoord and I couldn't regret it more. Aside from a throw rug in our living room and her puzzle play mat, there is no soft place for my daughter to play. We also have dogs and hearing their nails on the hardwood all of the time is quite annoying! I love the look of hardwoords and they are easier to keep clean but I miss my carpet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our current house is 100% hardwood (except the bathrooms) and I freaking HATE it! I just want to be able to lay on the floor and not be uncomfortable. I would absolutely keep carpet for bedrooms if I could, which is why I can't wait to sell ours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have carpet and hardwoods. but i would totally go with all hardwoods! the hubs wanted carpet in our new house but our new dog is well on his way to ruining it. it's just harder to clean, i think!

    hopefully in a few years, we'll rip out all of the carpet and put down wood floors.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen