Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mommy Guilt

I know this is something all Mom's experience in some way or another.  The guilt could come in the form of:  Am I spending enough quality time with my kids?  Am I teaching them enough?  Do they have enough play dates?  Are we doing enough as a family?  Am I enstilling good values/morals? 

I work full time.  I have to.  Therefore, my kids go to daycare/learning center.  They love it.  They have friends.  The teachers are amazing.  They do crafts, play outside, have story time, bible time, and play time.  By the time Chris and I get home from work, it's time to make dinner, eat, take baths, and go to bed.  There is not a lot of time for just hanging out as a family.  Therefore, we try to do things as a family on the weekends.

I realize that we don't have to take expensive outtings to create great memories with our kids, but I always wonder...is it enough?  I see all of these amazing pictures on facebook and Instagram of fun family adventures that I'd love to do, but somehow, we just can't seem to find the time to do everything.  With Chris working on the new house starting this weekend, it will just be the kids and I.  Can you think of any inexpensive, fun, easy for one parent to manage activities that the kids and I can do together?  I'd prefer they be activities at home, but easy outtings are great too--just keep in mind it is cold here :).

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a mom yet, but I do think about what it will mean to work and have a family--thanks for the post.

    For at home projects, have you tried recreating moments from you kids' favorite books? Like reading If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and then making cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I worked full time and was in school full time I was a single mother of one. I felt so much guilt but I had to work and I knew going to school was the best thing for our future. I found that the "little things" counted the most and they are still what my son remembers most. We used to have Friday date nights...usually Chuck E Cheese. Or I would let him pick where we ate out at and then we went and rented the movie of his choice and bought candy. He looked forward to it all week long. We also would go to the craft store and he would pick out something to make and we would do that together. There are tons of ideas on Pinterest as well. Don't beat yourself up over it. It is amazing what kids remember and don't remember and I promise you they will remember the time you spent together more than the times you spent apart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am struggling with lots of mom guilt right now. I also work full-time and my baby is just 8 months and clings to me when I drop her off. I know she enjoys her "friends" and all of the activity but it BREAKS MY HEART that she doesnt want to let me go and she has no choice in the matter. PHEW! I pray as she gets older drops off become easier and she loves going there as much as I need to work I dream that I could spend all my days with her.

    Every moment with her makes me cherish it all that much more. I probably kiss her and squish her too much but it makes us both happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Story of ourlives. Yes it is a struggle BUT I wouldn't have it any other way. We try to CRAM in as much as we can on weekends but really it is just time with them that they want. So we put our phones down (except instragam) and play with them, watch shows, movie themed nights, even watch out dinner on the floor - kids love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you. Life is hard and it seems like there is never enough time in the day to get everything done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get it too. When I worked full-time I always felt guilty. One of the things Caleb remembers most of those times is when we had a huge snowstorm and I filled a plastic bin (the size you would store a bunch of clothes in) with snow and brought it in the house. (He hates being out in the cold!) We made race tracks, dug in it, did science experiments with melting, put food coloring in it...tons of stuff! It was SO easy, but he still talks about it 3 years later!

    My point is that it's not about the amount of time you spend--it's about the quality time. Those dance parties you have every night sound pretty fun, and you're spending time with them! So don't feel like you have to be the ultra-creative mom who has elaborately planned Saturday crafts. Just be who you are and love your kids. :)

    As far as some at-home ideas...

    *get butcher paper and let them paint a mural. Use water colors that are a cinch to clean up and lay it out on the floor.

    * Have them write letters (they dictate, you write) and color pictures to mail to grandparents or other relatives.

    * Cook with them. Make cookies, use cookie cutters, and give them their own tray to put their cookies on that they shaped. (That way, you don't eat the ones their dirty hands were all over! Lol!)

    I hope this might give you a few ideas. But don't beat yourself up. You're a great mom!!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen