Thursday, October 4, 2012

Judgy Judgertons

I will admit...before I had kids, I was quick to judge those mothers with the loud kids in restaurants or the mom who's overweight kid was eating a bag of chips and drinking a soda in the middle of Target.  I thought..."I'll never do that.  My kid will be quiet and well behaved.  My kid will eat healthy. blah blah blah".  I realize now, how wrong I was.  Now, I am the mother being judged and it sucks. 

I'd love to sit here and tell you that my kids are perfect, but the fact is....they are not.  They are kids.  They are loud.  They want to have their way.  They are subborn at times and they throw tantrums...often in public.  I can't count the number of times Paxton has laid on the floor in a restaurant or store, kicking and screaming. 

I have found myself doing things I thought I would NEVER EVER do as a mother.  Stuff I would have definitely judged others for.  For example, I have let my 2 year old son sip my coke.  I know, I know....It's wrong.  It's terrible, but he screams and mama just wants a little peace and quiet when trying to eat my dinner (while it is still hot).  I also let my kids watch cartoons--granted, I still don't allow them to watch Sponge Bob, but they do watch Disney Jr and Nick Jr.  I could go on and on here, but the fact is...I'm not perfect.  I'm not the Joan Clever or Clair Huxtable mom that I thought I would be.  Now that the roles are reversed, I see how hard it can be.  I get it now.  I think as mom's we should take a step back and try to help and support one another before we are so quick to judge.  Just my opinion. 


3 comments:

  1. oh yes!!!! I was a much better mother before I actually had kids! i knew more and of course, knew what all those mothers were doing wrong....
    can't point to many fingers now...with 8 kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making a blog post of the "what I never thought I would do" Craziness how MUCH our world, our thoughts, our views change when you have two little ones running around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! This is so true. I used to be that person judging other moms and their kids. And now, I always try to send them a sympathetic "I feel your pain" smile and help hold the door if they need help, etc. Great reminder that we should all support each other and not tear each other down. Thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen