I just finished the book Room by Emma Donoghue. Here is the summery from amazon:
To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.
Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.
Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.
Ok, so for my review:
This book was very disturbing. The first 2 chapters (1/3 of the book) were really slow. I almost stopped reading, but I decided to push through. Overall, I'm glad I did.
Once you get to the part where they are "escaping", you really become invested in the characters. You feel so sorry for Jack. His integration into the real world is difficult and confusing. It was incredibly sad. This is not a "feel good" read, though the end is a good one. It is also not a page turner; however, if you are looking for something different, you may want to consider this book. It is a reminder that there are so many people and families who are struggling with children, grandchildren, etc who are missing. Even if/when they return, their lives are never the same.
If you have read this book, I'd love to hear what you thought.

Okay, I need a love story in my life! ;) But, I am glad you liked it. Have a FAB weekend!!
ReplyDelete-Shanna
I love good endings, but ready for not so good feel in a book.The characters and the story is interesting, yet kind of sad. Thanks for the honest review!
ReplyDeleteAML