Monday, October 22, 2012

5 Activites: Busy and quiet play cheap


I don't know about you, but I love any activity that is quiet and that buys me 15 minutes of no whinning  and maybe a little wining :).  So, therefore I went straight to the expert...Pinterest.   I came up with a few cheap ideas to keep the kids busy and quiet while not breaking the bank.

First up....making cool designs with pipe cleaners. 

You just need a collander and pipe cleaners and a couple of energetic toddlers or preschoolers. 
 
Note...this activity bought me enough time to shower with no interruptions!
 
 
and bonus...both kids had a great time!

 
The finished product.
 
Next up:  Cup Towers
Materials:  Cups! 
 
 
We used a variety including red solo cups, purple plastic cups, and Repunzel cups.

 
Viola...
Paxton's job by the way was knocking it down.
 
3rd Activity:  Transferring balls
Materials:  Tweezers, bowl/cups, little puffy balls from the craft shop.
 




 
We even used them as a learning tool and had the kids take them out by color.  This activity definitely entertained them both the longest.  It was a huge hit and it didn't take Paxton long to learn to use the tweezers. 
 
Activity 4:  Crayon Towers.
Materials:  Crayons
Side note:  This was hard and the kids lost interest in a few minutes.  I thought it was still worthy of adding to the list incase you have older kids.
 
Although, even I had trouble keeping them from rolling.

 
Activity 5:  Felt
Materials: Felt paternes and a felt board.
It should be noted, I bought my board and cutouts (pre cut) at Michaels.  I am not crafty and have no desire to cut a bunch of felt, but if you like too....that's great! 
 
My Spidarman Princess (his sister dresses him up) had a great time playing with his sister's felt board. 

 
 
My kids had a great time with each activity.  They love new "games" and I loved my quiet time.  I hope it buys you some time as well.  
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I love these! Especially the first one. Anything that will get me an uninterrupted shower sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started pinning felt ideas, just like the one you have :) {I was going to TRY and make my own} Honestly I just see chopped off bits and pieces of felt in my future haha

    How much were these felt boards? It might be worth it for me to buy one...

    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My Spiderman Princess..." That is awesome! We love the pipe cleaner/collander idea! I use it in the playroom all the time when I'm trying to get a little writing done! I love the other ideas as well.. thanks so much for sharing! I'm off to buy little crafty poms and some fun stackable cups later today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pipe cleaner activity. Pinned it and will save it for a rainy or snowy day {I can't believe I just typed snow}. I am sure my 6 year old will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi there! newest follower to your sweet blog! so happy to have stumbled.. your kids are just too cute! i teach preschool and i cannot tell you how much of a lifesaver pipe-cleaners are haha! for some reason.. kids LOOOVE them. love all of these ideas... definitely going to try the tweezers activity for fine motor skills ;) excited to read more and would love if you followed back!
    xox
    ellen
    thishive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have done the pipecleaners/strainer and felt board ideas too. I made Caleb his own (it really wasn't hard!) :) and he loves it. The pipe cleaners are great for fine motor too. Abby loves that! I got the kids each their own strainer because they would fight over mine! lol!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen