Thursday, October 25, 2012

Feeding Therapy Week 4

My happy little man is finishing his 4th week of feeding therapy tomorrow.  I have to say, while I hate the 1.5 hour drive each way to Baltimore, the weeks are going by fast and he really has adjusted well to the change in schedule and all of the new people.  I am so lucky to have such an outgoing and happy kid. 


This week, he:
  • Voluntarily put the chewy tube in his mouth at every meal
  • Ate 3 bites of mashed potatoes before he refused them (of course, they were mixed with his baby food)
  • Didn't throw a huge tantrum when the therapist put crumbs on his mouth.  He cried, but only for a few minutes. 
Concerns:
  • The 6 week program is over in 2 weeks and he is still only eating baby food and still not feeding himself.  Will I be packing baby food in his lunch forever?
  • The head Therapist told me she has never seen a child as happy, but as stubborn as mine when it comes to food.  Nothing works.  He doesn't care if you take his toys away or ignore him.  I guess I should take it as a compliment that he is self-sufficient when it comes to entertaining himself :). 
Next week they will start training us on ways we can help him at home.  I was hoping that he would come out of the program eating Mac and Cheese or at least Mashed Potatoes and Speghetti O's, but I guess I need to come to the realization that this process will take more time than I thought. 


1 comment:

  1. I am hoping and praying that the next two weeks you are SURPRISED with a little man that eats mac n cheese and mashed potatoes!!!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you,
Karen